Thursday, April 28, 2011

Welcome to Ambient Sounds!

Yes, I know, another blog from me. But this one is different.

In all honesty, there are very few relevant blogs to do with ambient music out there. Even if there is, all they usually do is provide a tracklist and a download page, useless to a concerning ambient connoisseur such as myself (and hopefully you). Ambient music doesn't generally receive much kudos, especially online, which is surprising for such a rich and varied genre.

So I'm here to try to rectify that as best I can, with ambient music reviews, ambient music book reviews, ambient music website reviews, and whatever else ambient related I can conjure up.

I'm usually pretty flexible when it comes to the question of 'what can be considered ambient?". However, I don't share the view of the otherwise brilliant book "The Ambient Century" by Mark Prendergast, where pretty much every piece of music that has any sense of space can be classified as 'ambient'. I'm sorry, Jimi Hendrix just isn't ambient. But hopefully I'll be covering things such as psybient, space music, synths, ambient house, IDM, and maybe even some illbient (what a dumb name).

So, let's get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment